Monday, May 11, 2009

Barker 2, Friday 0


Not a bad day, last Friday. First, I went in my local antique shop and found these guys:

Two antique blue glass carboys, one with a crate, at an extremely reasonable price. Once fully cleaned and sanitized, these will look beautiful with beer (or soda!) brewing inside. If only Tom and I would have stopped in a week earlier when we were all over the island looking for carboys...but more on that later.

The second score is better, if I do say so myself. Lauren and I had been looking for a Hoosier cabinet for a week or so, since she came up with the idea that all the booze should live in it's own cabinet, rather than the kitchen cupboard that the bottles have currently taken over. Ebay introduced us to one in Vermont that nearly got the nod, but the cost of getting it back home figured to be a little too much. Craigslist had one in Manhattan...but we were too late on that one. I explored Craigslist further, and found this very innocent-sounding ad tucked away in the North Jersey pages:


Interesting, I thought, and the price is certainly right. I called, and spoke with a guy named Sal, who sent me some very small and blurry pictures via text message. Couldn't tell much from the pictures...but again, the price was right. Why not? Even if we just use it as a place holder until we find one we really like, it's worth $100. So we went to West Orange Friday night and picked it up. And this is what we got:

Hooolllleeee crap...awesome. We love it--look at the style! Deco! Wonderful! Of course, there's no countertop, but we're ordering one. And it didn't always look this good... 


...as you can see, it was a little dirty from having been in Sal's basement for 25 years. A little 409, a little soap and water, a heap of elbow grease, and voilá! Liquor cabinet!

Once we get the countertop, line the shelves, and add the booze, I'll post more pictures. Good idea Lauren!

No comments:

Post a Comment